Water Jet Machining (WJM) Principles
As the name suggests the water jet machining process involves the use of high velocity and high pressure thin jets of water to cut the job. Water Jet is the stream of high velocity water coming out from the nozzle. When high pressure water jet comes out of the nozzle it gains a large kinetic energy. After striking the work piece this kinetic energy is converted to pressure energy inducing high stress on the material. When this induced stress surpasses the ultimate stress of the material, removal starts.
Please Read :
Schematic Diagram of WJM
|a. Schematic of Water Jet Machining b. Example of workpiece machined by WJM|
Advantages of Water Jet Machining Process
2. The water jet keeps the job clean and dust free.
3. The only moving part used is the pump, therefore the operating and
maintenance expenses are low.
4. The process is very safe to use.
5. Very complicated designs and detailed work can be done.
6. There is no damage of the workpiece due to thermal stress. Very little heat is
7. Soft rubber like materials can be cut through this process where saw teeth