Catalytic ConvertersCatalytic converter is a way of treating exhaust gases. These convert harmful pollutants into harmless gases. A catalyst is a material that causes chemical change without entering into chemical reaction. In effect the catalyst encourages to react with each other. For example, in the HC/CO catalytic converter, the catalyst encourage5 the HC to unite with oxygen to produce H20 (water).It encourages the CO to change to CO2 (carbon dioxide). The catalyst in the NOx converter splits the nitrogen from the oxygen. The NO therefore becomes harmless nitrogen and oxygen. Figure 31-40 shows that a two way type catalytic converter that converts only HC and CO. Figure 31-40 also shows that the flow of the exhaust gas through the converter. The converter is filled with BB-shot-size metal pellets. They are coated with a thin layer of platinum or similar catalytic metal. The pellets form a matrix through which the exhaust gas must pass. As the exhaust gas flows through the catalyst produces the chemical reaction. Another type of catalytic converter must use non-leaded gasoline. If the gasoline contains lead, the lead will coat the catalyst and the converter will stop working. If this happens to the pellet type converter, there is a way to remove the old pellets and put in a charge of fresh pallets. But in the honey-comb type, the complete catalytic converter must be replaced.
Please Read :
Dual bed and three way catalytic converters
Please Read :
- TIG welding
- MIG welding
- TIG Aluminum Welding
- Submrged Arc Welding
- Flux shielded metal arc welding process principles
- Resistance Projection Welding
- Resistance Spot Welding
- Resistance Seam Welding
- Different types of welding defects.
- Different types of casting defects
- What is casting ? Main application of castings
- different types of patterns that are used on the sand casting process.
- different types of molding sand
- properties of various natural and synthetic molding sands
- Comparison of different casting processes.
- Advantages and disadvantages of centrifugal castings.
- impact of renewable energy on the global warming in India
- Important biogas plant found in India - Fixed Dome Type Janata Model
- Biomass - one of the most cheapest non-conventional energy sources
- Renewable energy the great green hope !
- Renewable energy sources - graphical representation
- Pros and Cons of Geothermal Energy
- Solar energy pros and cons
- Different renewable energy sources - graphical presentation
- What is the cheapest renewable energy source - biomass
- Solar pond pump or solar fountain pump advantages and disadvantages
- Wave energy pros and cons